Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Case of Microworms Vs Missing Ventral Fins
09-09-2012, 05:50 PM
The Case of Microworms Vs Missing Ventral Fins
I've read quite a lot about this. It has also happened to two batches of my fries. In this case, one batch of crown tail fries....around 200+ of them now almost 2 months old are all missing both or one ventral fin.

When I spawned the two batches...I did feed them microworms for 2-3 weeks. There has been many discussions about microworms being the cause of missing ventral fins in bettas...both for and against feeding the fries and also for a period of time.

Because of this, I have been reading and have come to my own final conclusion. Please note that my conclusion does not mean that I am 100% right:

report:

- Feeding microworms to betta is OK...even beyond 2 weeks....it is still ok.
- the problem lies with the uneaten microworm that dies and start to decay in the fries tank.
- the decayed microworm turns into some kind of bacteria/parasite which then eats at the ventral fins of fries as the fries lay at the bottom of the tank. We all know...fries love to just swim around against the bottom of the tank.

solution:
--------
- some people report that having earth/tanah/sand at tank bottom help eliminate the problem
- also if no sand/earth...then must make sure the tank bottom is clean and siphoned regularly
- adding airtstone bubble also helps to aerate the tank water and oxygenate the water which helps in fish development

So far this is my understanding from reading and trying to find out the causes of missing ventral fins in betta. If anyone knows or finds a mistake in my report please feel free to post your opinion. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2012, 06:23 PM
RE: The Case of Microworms Vs Missing Ventral Fins
Yea this is one theory.
It could be the dirty tank base, some sort of bacteria/parasite/microorganism, decaying mw, or it could be live microworms themselves doing damage to the fry(feed too dense).

I am a microworm user, and I find putting in snails essential to clean up uneaten food, "debris" or surplus microworm. Yes, I agree with you, sometimes I give them even beyond 2 weeks, up to around 1 month old, but is not the sole food I give at that stage.

Maybe we can propose someone in University to do a Masters or PHD thesis about this...?

Anyways, good thread bro!
10-09-2012, 05:47 AM
yes...i also put in snails...they're cheap...here in JB its 2 snails for RM1...ramshorned snail. Can find that at shops selling planted aquariums.
10-09-2012, 12:34 PM
My way to find water snail is by collecting water plant like Kiambang / Keladi Bunting in parit or lombong..they're normally attached at the roots..very easy to grow bigger and also in quantity..

ThumbsUp
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taiping-B...4901982880
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-12-2012, 08:55 PM
when to put the snail and when to remove it.i plan 2 use snail 4r the 1st time.give me some ideaBig Grin
26-12-2012, 10:46 PM
For me normally, I introduce the snails as early as free swimming day till as late as few days later. I reckon that pond snails and ramshorn snails are pretty ideal for the job. My favourite is ramshorn.
27-12-2012, 09:47 AM
You need to do frequent wc also when add-in snails in the tank. Alot of "poo poo"..argghh

{(3_1)} Select to Breed, Breed to Compete, Compete to Measure Hehehe
29-12-2012, 10:15 PM
i though that add snail will - the rate of water polute?so it's easy to clean
29-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Uneaten food will rot in the tank and this can be very toxic to the water. Snails help clean this uneaten food, but in turn defecate waste. Now, to me, the pollution from uneaten food is of a higher degree compared to waste from snails. This is because waste from snails are already broken down chemically by the digestive system of the snail. However, as Choo said, snails who eat a lot, will poo a lot. So, that's what you have to deal with, the snails' poo. But whatever it is, poo is just poo, like the poo from your adult bettas.

Same goes for the adult tank. If you have too much uneaten food, your water will foul up fast, and your betta will probably get sick or die more easily. But if you have betta poo in tank, altho quite a fair amount, it would not have much of an effect on the betta's health for a considerable amount of time.
30-12-2012, 09:06 AM
oh now i understand,tq guys